Your roof is a lot like the helmet on a cyclist — it’s that shield that keeps your home safe and protected against the elements. Yet, more often than not, we tend to overlook its importance. In this blog, roofing expert Neumann Construction chimes in on the reasons why your roof isn’t just a cover on top of your house but a crucial part of your home’s exterior.
Why Your Roof Is Important
The roof makes up more than half of your home’s overall appearance. It is, after all, one of the things people see when they pass by your property. Beyond its contribution to your home’s curb appeal, your roof also plays a vital role in safeguarding and preserving a home.
Check out the crucial functions of your roof, as these better highlights how important it is to your home:
- Providing Structural Support. The roof of your home is critical in providing structural support. It keeps the other components of the structure in place, helping to provide a solid base for everything. A well-maintained roof also helps prevent costly damage, such as water leaking into the house or settling and shifting.
- Protecting Your Family and Valuables From the Weather. Your roof helps to protect you from the elements, shielding you from rain, snow and extreme heat. It also helps to block out wind, keeping your home warm and insulated in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Enhancing Insulation. Your roof is a part of your home’s energy envelope, thanks to the attic. It is where insulation is found, which helps keep your interiors cool in the summer and warm in the winter. In a way, your roof impacts how your home performs in terms of energy consumption — without any gaps in the insulation, your HVAC system won’t have to work as hard to maintain consistent indoor temperatures. This means lower energy bills and subsequent savings.
- Raising the Value of Your House. As with most home exterior components, your roof can benefit from regular maintenance. While it may be seen as a requirement to ensure your homeowners insurance remains intact, a well-maintained roof can add value to your home. It’s less likely to be repaired frequently or replaced prematurely, saving you time and money. If you have plans to put your property on the market, keeping the roof in great shape can be a great selling point that will attract potential buyers.
Different Types of Roofing Materials
Once we understand how crucial the roof is, the question arises – what should your roof be made of? At Neumann Construction, we specialize in two types of roofing – asphalt and metal.
- Asphalt Roofing. Asphalt shingles remain the most popular roofing material choice among homeowners in Brainerd and the surrounding areas. They offer a perfect blend of durability, aesthetics and affordability. Asphalt roofing can withstand the most severe weather and retain their beauty, enhancing your home’s curb appeal. They come in various colors and styles, allowing homeowners to customize their appearance to match their home’s exterior.
- Metal Roofing. Metal roofs, on the other hand, are the knights in shining armor of roofing materials. They are incredibly resilient, standing up to extreme weather conditions with ease. Metal roofing can last up to many decades, making it a worthwhile investment for your home. Plus, they can be fashioned to resemble various other materials, allowing you to choose a style that suits your house and your tastes.
Tips to Protect Your Roof
Taking care of your roof is essential to ensure the longevity, structural integrity and protection of your home. Here are some crucial steps and considerations to keep in mind:
- Keep an Eye out for Any Signs of Damage
To ensure that your roof is functioning correctly, it is essential to pay attention to any signs of damage. If there are any damaged tiles, shingles or other components, it is best to have them repaired or replaced as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your home. You should also keep an eye out for any areas where water might be leaking. Even if the leak is small, it is crucial to have it checked and repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Take Note of Roof Leakage
Any signs of roof leakage should be taken seriously and addressed as soon as possible. Leaks can cause a lot of damage to your home if not taken care of right away. To keep an eye out for any early signs of a roof leak, you should look for any water stains on your walls or ceiling. Pay attention to any areas of your home that might be damp or musty. These could be signs of a roof leak. If you notice any of these signs, you must call a professional for advice on the best course of action.
- Find out About Your Roof’s Age
Knowing the age of your roof can help you determine when it might be time to consider a replacement and choose the proper maintenance and care it needs. Most roofs should be inspected and maintained every three to five years. If you are unsure of your roof’s age or you recently purchased your home, contact a roofing professional to inspect it.
- Get Regular Roof Maintenance
Schedule regular roof inspections, ideally twice a year, in spring and fall. Check for loose or damaged shingles, cracks, rusted flashing and any signs of water damage or leakage. Regular inspections and maintenance help spot potential issues before they become significant, costly problems. From replacing cracked shingles to cleaning your gutters, these small steps can extend your roof’s life and protect your home.
Get in Touch With Us!
Neumann Construction can be counted on for all your roofing needs in Brainerd, MN. In addition to asphalt shingles and metal panels, we also specialize in installing cedar, stone-coated steel tile, rubber and flat roofing systems. Whether you need to have your roof repaired, replaced or maintained, you can rest easy knowing that our team is committed to keeping you, your family and your home safe and dry year-round. Call us at (218) 270-0009, or fill out the form on our contact page to request a free estimate.